Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?

From: Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
Subject: Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:00:59 -0200

On Thu, Nov 21 2002 at 08:28:21PM BRST, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Yes, indeed.  Well, the most recent version of Tramp has a variable
> > > tramp-default-method-alist which allows you to configure some
> > > things.  By default, root is the default user for the `su' method,
> > > for example, so /[su/localhost] should be enough.
> > >
> > > Oh, on XEmacs the default value is nil.  Sorry.
> >
> >         Why is that?
> >
> > > Then the host name may be empty, so that /[su/address@hidden might work.
> > > But
> > > don't count on it...
>
> If I remember correctly, "root" and "localhost" are default values for
> both "su" and "sudo" methods. If you have nothing defined in your
> .emacs; still user name / host name completion (via <TAB>) should give
> you these values.
>
> Just checked with GNU Emacs; it still seems to work. For XEmacs I'm
> too tired now.

        As Kai pointed out, there's no default for XEmacs, it's nil :(

        So, setting as I suggested apparently works (at least for that
specific case).

                rbp
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <address@hidden>
 http://www.linuxsp.org.br
 GPG: <0x81F85A48>  7E62 9CA2 C95B FC86 B334 203E C011 2E4D 81F8 5A48

Even a bad day skydiving is better than a good day at work.