Re: Tramp doesn't compile on my RedHat 8.0 system.¥

From: Lars Bungum
Subject: Re: Tramp doesn't compile on my RedHat 8.0 system.¥
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:25:31 +0200 (CEST)

> You're using the 2.0.30 tar-ball, aren't you?

Yup.

> Which texi2dvi do you have? You'll get it calling "texi2dvi --version"

texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.2) 0.51

..and the problem is that texi2dvi doesn't tackle the tramp texi file:

address@hidden texi]# texi2dvi tramp.texi
stdin:148: warning: @menu seen before first @node, creating `Top' node.
stdin:148: warning: perhaps your @top node should be wrapped in @ifnottex
rather than @ifinfo?.
stdin:148: Next field of node `Top' not pointed to.
stdin:603: This node (Connection types) has the bad Prev.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: line 526: tex: command not found
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: tex exited with bad status, quitting.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: see tramp.log for errors.

I.e the exact same output comes from the program when it's ran separately,
which seems to be the cause of my troubles.  But since my system is a
clean Redhat 8.0, I would guess it is sort of relevant info that it
doesn't compile with the default software from there.  But I obviously
have no problem updating my software personally.

> Hmm, strange. Without more information (apply "M-x tramp-bug") there's
> no chance to analyze.

Tried to do this now.

> But maybe you can download the recent CVS version of Tramp at first?
> There I have adapted the Makefile that it skips texi2dvi if it hasn't
> a proper version.

Are there any other changes in the CVS version?  Guess the thing with the
documentation isn't that critcal, as it is possible to find elsewhere as
well.

--lars