Problems with 2.0.22; hangs on connect

From: Joel Stanley
Subject: Problems with 2.0.22; hangs on connect
Date: 07 May 2003 15:26:08 -0500

Greetings, tramp hackers. :)

I am experiencing a problem similar to the one described (for the remote
root login) in the following thread:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2002-10/msg00080.html

At the bottom of this e-mail are the appropriate errors logs. I'm
running XEmacs 21.4.11 under Linux (I don't have this problem on 21.4.11
on win32, for some reason, but I haven't checked the version of tramp
installed there).  I've been using tramp successfully in the past, and
love it, but that was under XEmacs 21.4.6 and tramp 1.2, IIRC (it was
installed with my distro).

Basically, when I connect to the remote host, trying to open a file, it
hangs at "Trying stty -onlcr" for 30 seconds, and then dies.  The error
logs haven't shed any light on the topic, at least not for me.  Also,
the only tramp-specific configuration that I have is a typical:

(setq tramp-default-method "scp")

in my config files.  I experience the same problem using "ssh", however.

Thanks *very* much for any help in advance -- I've been using tramp on a
daily basis for marathon coding sessions and would really like to figure
out what is causing this. :)

--Contents of *debug tramp/scp cypher*--

# Opening connection at cypher using scp...
# Waiting for prompts from remote shell
# Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
# Found remote shell prompt.
# Initializing remote shell
$ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
# Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
exec env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh^M
$ # Setting up remote shell environment
stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U'^M
$ $ # Determining coding system