Re: smb connection fails on passward var

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: smb connection fails on passward var
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:57:31 +0100

Harry Putnam <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm apparently missing some basic element of the smb connection
> syntax or something.  I got the latest cvs tramp and can connect to
> one windows machine share with this:
>
>   /smb:address@hidden:/hgpxp-c/ <RET>
> I then get prompted twice for password.  (shouldn't it be only once?)

Unfortunately, it needs the password twice because of two independant
smbclient calls. It needs to get the avalaible shares (smbclient -L
hgpxp -U reader) and then to connect the share for operation
(smbclient //hgpxp/hgpxp-c -U reader). I could cache the password, of
course, but I'm a little bit reluctant to do that.

> But then trying the same thing on a second machine:
>
>   /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/

[...]

> tramp: Fetching /smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/ to tmp file
> /tmp/tramp.2040FcX...
> tramp-smb-handle-file-local-copy: Cannot make local copy of file
> `/smb:address@hidden:/bjpxp-c/'

This message appears if the smbclient command "get" fails (similar to
ftp "get"). I would need the following buffers for analysis:

    *tramp/smb bjpxp*
    *debug tramp/smb address@hidden

> However both machines/share are accessable with the normal smbclient
> method:
>
>    $ smbclient //bjpxp/bjpxp-c -U reader
>   added interface ip=192.168.0.4 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>   Got a positive name query response from 192.168.0.16 ( 192.168.0.16 )
>   Password:
>   smb: \>

Yes, but then try the "get" ...