Re: Two problems with tramp & smb

From: Christoph Bauer
Subject: Re: Two problems with tramp & smb
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:42:06 +0100

Hi,

>>> A workaround is to set auto-save-file-name-transforms to a correct
>>> value.
>>
>> Ok, I put this line in my .emacs:
>>
>> (setq  auto-save-file-name-transforms
>>        (list (list (caar auto-save-file-name-transforms) "~/backup/\\2"))
>> but something is wrong. IMHO the regexp (caar
>> auto-save-file-name-transforms) matches only filenames with a
>> leading backquote.

I'm too busy this week  to figure out what exactly goes wrong,
but my solution doesn't work. Would it be a good idea to set
auto-save-file-name-transforms to nil, because it matches only names
with a double colon (:)? (Maybe I'm wrong again.) But then
creating of new files should work.

> Note that backslashes need to be doubled in Emacs strings.  So the
> string "\\`" will be backslash-parsed by the Lisp reader and then the
> two characters \ and ` will be passed on to the regex engine.
>
> To the regex engine, \` is an escape sequence similar to ^, except
> that ^ matches at the beginning of every line, whereas \` only matches
> at the beginning of the string/buffer.

I see I have to sit down and learn more about emacs-lisp...

> Hm.  It seems you sent the message to me only, but Michael Albinus is
> the expert on tramp-smb...  I also see some messages on the
> tramp-devel list.  What is the status?  Is Michael helping you
> already?  Or is something more needed?  If something more is needed,
> please let's discuss it on the tramp-devel list.  (Unless it's very
> private.)

Michael wrote:

   [...] I'll try to fix it next days.

He mentioned a workaround for the second problem. I do
  echo . > newfile
on the windows box. So it is possible to do my work with tramp+smb.

He sends all mails to tramp-devel.

Thanks for helping me,

Christoph

--
proc self {} {foreach c [split [info body self] ""] d {14 -7 0 0 4 -67 4 73 11
69 24 -83 -15 6 -4 -84 78 20 11 -78 -1 -1 79 19 -8 4} { binary scan $c c c