Re: Please help: syntax for touch needed

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Please help: syntax for touch needed
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:05:04 -0600

    Kai> I've looked at GNU/Linux (Debian woody), FreeBSD (-current) and
    Kai> Solaris (2.6) and it seems that they all allow me to say

    Kai>     touch -t YYYYMMDDhhmm.ss /path/to/file

    Kai> How can you help?  If you have access to a different Unix, please
    Kai> tell me if the above command also works there.

Mac OS X 10.2.8 and Solaris 2.8 support the above syntax.  They also support

    touch -r /path/to/reference/file /path/to/file

which says to get the timestamp from the reference file.  That might be
useful to get the timestamp from the most recent backup file.

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html