Re: tramp (2.0.39); tramp-2.0.39.tar.gz ./configure problem on suse 9.0

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); tramp-2.0.39.tar.gz ./configure problem on suse 9.0
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:58:55 +0100

bruce robertson <address@hidden> writes:

> PROBLEMS:
>
> 1.installed info file as '/usr/local/info', might have been happy if
> /usr/local/info directory had existed?

I don't know whether it is wise to create the directory. It could be
that the info directory defaults to a place on a given host, the user
doesn't know or care about.

But there should be a check for existence of the directory during
configuration phase.

> 2. didn't build 'dir' file or try to update

Right. Read the instructions in the Tramp manual about (section "Load
paths"). Doing this automatically is on the todo list, but it isn't an
easy job.

> 2. installed tramp*.el{,c} into       /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp which
> is incompatible with suse emacs 21.3

Right, again. Tramp cannot know all the different path preferences for
all Unices and other operating systems. You can influence the
installation target with the option lispdir, either during configure
or during make. Details are described in the file INSTALL and in the
Tramp manual, section "Installation parameters".