Re: Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?

From: Jack Saba
Subject: Re: Why is tramp using FTP when I asked for ssh?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:17:00 -0500

Somehow, this thread left tramp-devel and became a chain of private emails between Kai and me, probably because I did a reply rather than reply all to his message. Here's a summary of the situation to date.

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

>> ;(require 'tramp)
>
> The above line is commented out -- maybe this is the problem?  Or is
> it only commented out in the email?

That was the initial problem. Thanks to Kai and Michael for seeing it. After correcting this, I could not connect at all. Kai suggested looking at the tramp/ssh buffer. It contained

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
Could not create directory '/home/jack/.ssh'.

Next Kai suggested

> Try C-x C-f /sshx:address@hidden:/some/file RET (with sshx instead of ssh).
> Does that help?

The tramp/ssh buffer then contained only one line:

Could not create directory '/home/user/.ssh'.

Kai's next reply was

> Okay, so the other error message (about the pseudo terminal) is gone.
> Good.  Now, what happens when you create the /home/user/.ssh directory?

After checking, I found that the directory was already there -- we've been using secure shell between the various unix hosts for a while. I renamed it and tried again. The result in the tramp/ssh buffer was the same:

Could not create directory '/home/user/.ssh'.

That's where it stands now. I'm still using ftp to connect, but that option is likely to disappear sometime soon.

NT Emacs 21.2.1 is running under Win2K. Tramp version is 2.0.38. In the .emacs file I have

(require 'tramp)
(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
(setq tramp-verbose 10)
(setq tramp-auto-save-directory "c:/Documents\ and\ Settings/jack/My\ Documents"
      tramp-default-method "ssh")

Jack