Re: sftp support

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: sftp support
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:24:21 +0100

Baris Efe <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> Is there any sftp support in tramp or is it in todo list?

In fact, Tramp does not support ftp natively. Instead of, it forwards
all request to ange-ftp (Emacs) or efs (XEmacs), respective.

In order to get sftp running, it must be possible to use it within
those packages. I haven't tried it by myself, but there are
customizations for setting the ftp program to be called. Something
like `ange-ftp-ftp-program-name' or `efs-ftp-program-name'. If it
works directly there, it will work via Tramp with the ftp method as
well.

Nevertheless, I doubt that it will be so simple. I guess that
handshaking etc with sftp is different from ftp. So you might
consider using ssh and scp, as already proposed in other replies.

And no, AFAIK there are no plans to add special support for sftp
within Tramp.