Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)

From: Peter Woo
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.39); backup file naming error (%backup% resulted)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:26:52 +0800

I guess ":" is a problem on NT or Cygwin Emacs. A Cygwin "touch" test on a filename such as "test:abc" would result in a file "test" with everything after ":" lost. And if under Cygwin Emacs, it can't even be created but resulted in the generic filename "%backup%".

So, I would say translating the ":" to something else such as "!" would solve my problem. However, not sure whether this is a preference for all platforms. Perhaps a tramp variable for tweaking?

Thks,
P.

Michael Albinus wrote:

Peter Woo <address@hidden> writes:

So, rather than using the workaround, which ends up having "~"
suffixed backups all over the places, is it possible to enable tramp
to use absolute path backup dir?

I did the following test:

(add-to-list 'backup-directory-alist
            (cons tramp-file-name-regexp "/tmp"))