Re: Tramp backup stuff

From: Peter Woo
Subject: Re: Tramp backup stuff
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:33:49 +0800

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

address@hidden (Björn Lindström) writes:

Currently I use this thing for Tramp backups:

(add-to-list 'backup-directory-alist
            (cons tramp-file-name-regexp nil))

However, I think backup files lying around everywhere is a
nuisance. Ideally, I would like to have the backup directory for files
opened with Tramp set to /method:host:.backup. Is that possible?
How?
Not so simple. It would require a local setting of
`backup-directory-alist' in case of Tramp files, maybe in the
`find-file-hook'.

I see.  While one could add ("\\`/ssh:address@hidden:"
. "/ssh:address@hidden:.backup/") to the list, it would only work
for *some* Tramp files, not for all of them.  Hm.

Maybe this means that backup-directory-alist is not flexible enough.
WDOT?  Should we request enhancement of backup-directory-alist in core
Emacs?

Kai

It seems to have been solved by Michael as per rev. 2.348 tramp.el, "* lisp/tramp.el (tramp-touch): FILE can be a local file, too."? Or is it really a new bug?
Peter.