Re: Debugging ssh connectivity problem

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Debugging ssh connectivity problem
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:55:04 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Hi. I'm trying to get Tramp working with an Emacs 21.2 client on
> Windows-XP. The server is linux, and I'm using ssh to connect.
>
> After I type my passphrase, I don't see anything happen on my network
> monitor, telling me that perhaps the passphrase isn't being sent.

Hm.

> How can I get some debug output to see what's happening? The connection
> hangs. When I set tramp-verbose to 10 I get output telling me what regexp
> are being sought, but nowhere do I see any error message or output from
> the remote machine.

The communication is happening in the *tramp/foo* buffer.  Sometimes
its contents give some hints.  But the buffer only shows the most
recent exchange, whereas after (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) you get a
record of everything in the *debug tramp/foo* buffer.

> I can run ssh just fine from a shell window (MKS Toolkit shell) but tramp
> is just not connecting.

Could be end of line issues, but of course this is just a stab in the
dark.  What happens when you invoke ssh from a *shell* window inside
Emacs?  Type M-x shell RET to get such a *shell* window.  Perhaps you
would like to change explicit-shell-file-name to the MKS Toolkit
shell.

Kai