Re: tramp (2.0.50); Spurious buffer opens when saving on a FAT system

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.50); Spurious buffer opens when saving on a FAT system
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:36:27 +0200

Torsten Bronger <address@hidden> writes:

> I use Tramp for editing a remote file trhough a ssh connection.  The file is
> on
> a FAT32 filesystem.  When I write the file for the first time in the Emacs
> session, a buffer named *trams/ssh bob* opens with the following contents:

This buffer pops up in case Tramp detects an error. It is the
connection buffer. But usually Tramp stops with further work then.

> *Messages* contains:

> Making completion list...
> Mark set
> Wrote /tmp/tramp.27051ZvA
> Cannot write backup file; backing up in %backup%~
> Mark set
> Wrote /tmp/tramp.27051R5s
> Wrote /home/bronger/%backup%~
> Wrote /ssh:bob:/windows/hobie/magnetfeld.py
> Mark set
>

> I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the bakup file could not
> be
> saved.  Saving the file works but this behaviour is slightly annoying.  Can it
> be avoided?

It could be because of this. In order to exclude the problem with
backups, you might customize `backup-directory-alist' or
`tramp-backup-directory-alist' (see the doc). Your current settings
are