Re: tramp (2.0.47); Unnecessary delays accept-process-output; proposed f

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.47); Unnecessary delays accept-process-output; proposed fix.
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:13:17 +0100

"Wagemans, Peter" <address@hidden> writes:

> In my environment, the modifications typically save me more than half
> of the setup time for an initial ssh connection. There was also not
> much sense in using shorter timeouts than 0.1 seconds: that resulted
> in unsuccessful regexp matching of incomplete subshell output and more
> accept-process-output calls to receive the remaining output.

Thanks a lot for your interesting investigations, I'll go through next
days in more detail. I would like to encourage you to reinvestigate it
with recent Tramp 2.1. Several optimizations have been performed there
(also on other pieces of the code); it would be great if you could
propose further optimizations there.

Since Tramp 2.0 is regarded as a stable release, we shouldn't change
it to heavy in order to avoid instabilities. Several time-outs in that
code have been introduced because users have reported blocking
situations without.