Re: tramp 2.1.6: hosts completion does not work for me.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp 2.1.6: hosts completion does not work for me.
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:12:14 +0200

Pawel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hallo

Hi,

> After upgrading to 2.1.6 I found out that hosts tramp completion does not
> work.
>
> I am using scp as default method. The same method I used in 2.1.5.

There was a change, indeed. See the Tramp manual, node "Filename
completion". Method name, host name and user name completion will be
enabled only when partial completion mode (or ido mode, but that is
undocumented) is enabled when Tramp is loaded. This is a result of a
discussion on the GNU Emacs developpers mailing list. People were
concerned, that Tramp tries completion even after typing "/" only.

If you don't use partial completion mode, but want to keep host name
completion, load Tramp like this in your .emacs:

  ;; Preserve Tramp's completion features.
  (let ((partial-completion-mode t))
    (require 'tramp))

For XEmacs, nothing has been changed. The syntax of remote file names
is different; one must type at least "/[" in order to bring Tramp into
a run.