Re: "stty igncr" patch for tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: "stty igncr" patch for tramp
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:02:03 +0200

Tony Foiani <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael --

Hi Tony,

> I'm just starting to use tramp (after using ange-ftp years ago), and I
> couldn't get my configuration to work properly.
>
>    Local Machine:
>       Wintel (Windows XP SP2 current patches)
>       NTEmacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>         mule-version: 5.0 (SAKAKI)
>       PuTTY suite (devel snapshot 2006-02-14 r6557)
>         Using pagent for ssh key handling, putty to dest machine works.
>
>    Remote Machine:
>       Intel i386 Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Linux 2.6.9-22.EL)
>       bash 3.0-19.2
>
> The debugging trace was showing two "$ " prompts after the "stty
> ... -echo ..." command was sent.

Interesting. Sometimes, I have seen such bug reports, but I haven't
been able to catch them until now (Windows is not my, ahem, preferred,
operating system).

> I eventually figured out that I needed to cancel cancel an extra CR
> that was being sent (presumably because my local host is windows, thus
> CRLF, and I can't seem to find a flag in plink to tell it to send just
> LF).  On this version of linux, the appropriate 'stty' command line is
> "stty igncr", and it had to be sent before the "-echo" line (because
> otherwise the success of the "-echo" line is never detected).
>
> (FWIW, it looks like mule wants to make the communication buffer use
> DOS line-endings, which might be a part of the problem -- the mode
> line indicates "\", not "(Unix)".  I wonder if forcing the communi-
> cation buffer to raw is the right answer?)
>
> Please find attached a message with two patches, one each for 2.0.53
> and 2.1.6.  I don't know if it's appropriate to just throw these into
> the main stream of things, or whether to somehow tie it into the
> "plink" or possibly "pscp" methods.  But this got me up and running.

I'll check it next week. These days I'm busy with some private happenings.

> Thank you for the great tool!

Oh, it's Kai and Daniel who have done the major job. I'm just
maintaining it now.