Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and VMS - I know it doesn't work but...
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:17:31 +0200

"Nelson E. Ingersoll" <address@hidden> writes:

>    I understand that TRAMP will not work with VMS.  I can live with
> that.  What I do have a problem with is when I tell TRAMP to get out of
> the way and let me use ANGE-FTP it doesn't really get out of the way.
>
> Following TRAMP's documentation I have put
>
>          (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>
> into my .emacs file.  I then try something like
>
>      /address@hidden:WORK/MYDIR/MYFILE.TXT
>
> and get a TRAMP error like
>
> "tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a tramp file name: /DISK$USERDISK:/USERNAME/"

That's an interesting constellation. Because of the "ftp" default
method, Tramp passes it's function calls to Ange-FTP, and connects
vmssystem via FTP. You should see it in a corresponding buffer *ftp
address@hidden But then it expands your local file to the VMS
notation "/DISK$USERDISK:/USERNAME/", which _looks_ like a remote file
name again. It tries to expand it, and fails.

> The documentation appears to be in error by suggesting that one is not
> using TRAMP.  I am specifically referring to the WEB pages at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/ and "8 Frequently Asked
> Questions"/"How can I disable tramp?".

There are 2 recommendations. The first one is setting
`tramp-default-method´ to "ftp". This way Tramp is not disabled, but
all work is passed to Ange-FTP.

Disabling Tramp completely shall be achieved by the second
recommendation "M-x tramp-unload-tramp". You might try this in case
you want to apply only Ange-FTP.

> Thank you for your attention.
>
> Nelson Ingersoll
>
> PS - I thought this was a closed email list.  How come there is so much
> garbage now?  Is there a way I can help the list?  I act as a filter for
> the pilot-db mailing list and daily cull garbage from the list using
> SourceForge's maillist manager page.  I've been doing it for at least 2
> years.

This mailing list is not a closed one in the sense that only
subscribers are allowed to submit messages. The list is used for bug
reports, so it cannot be closed.

A moderation of the list has been discussed already (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2006-07/msg00180.html). Until
now, there is no volunteer to moderate the list. If you would like to
do such a job, you're welcome!