Re: Why proxies?

From: Kirk Strauser
Subject: Re: Why proxies?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:58:41 -0500

On Thursday 31 August 2006 1:08 am, Michael Albinus wrote:

> That's simple. I've committed a corresponding patch to CVS. The info
> page of multi-hops has been extended by this:
>
>    PROXY can contain the patterns `%h' or `%u'.  These patterns are
> replaced by the strings matching HOST or USER, respectively.

That was *exactly* what I needed.  Thank you!  That little change made my
configuration *much* simpler.  Almost all of my local network needs are now
handled by two lines:

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\.daycos\\.com\\'" nil "/ssh:address@hidden:"))
(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\.daycos\\.com\\'" "kirk" nil))

The last is so that no proxies are used when accessing machines under my own
account, and the first is so that any connection to any other machine to an
account other than my own goes through an SSH proxy to that host.

Oh, one last documentation tweak that would have helped me immensely would
have been to mention that the method you specify in the filename is
actually gets executed after all the proxies have been traversed, eg
that "/sudo:address@hidden:" results in "sudo root" being executed as
the last hop.  That's completely obvious now, but caused me to re-read the
info page about ten times before I understood what was going on.  I'd offer
to write a paragraph myself but there's not enough coffee in my bloodstream
to do a passable job of it.

Again, thank you.  Your work is appreciated more than you're probably used
to hearing.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Day Companies