Re: Tramp hangs after opening remote file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp hangs after opening remote file
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:55:53 +0100

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi again!

Hi,

>> Could you, please, provide a debug buffer which corresponds to your
>> whole scenario? That means creation of a new file, saving it, killing
>> the buffer, reopening of the same file.
>
> I don't see how that is relevant, as the problem only appears when I
> try to open an existing file, but still, here you go. (see attachment)
>
>> Furthermore, it would be helpful if you could apply (setq debug-on-quit t)
>> The backtrace appearing after typing Ctrl-g would be interesting too.
>
> Ok. Second attachment.
>
> Hope that helps. If I can do anything else to help you locate the
> problem (such as running a certain function in edebug... I tried to do
> that myself, but couldn't find my way around in the code.), just ask.

The traces look like they should until the end. In the backtrace, I've
found two things I'm not certain Tramp can deal with:

- vc-svk-registered("/scp:address@hidden:/root/testfile")

  There are some wild hacks to let Tramp cooperate with vc-*. I
  haven't seen ever vc-svk.el this way; maybe you disable vc
  temporarily just in order to know whether there is a problem.

- call-interactively(ffap)

  The Tramp todo list has the entry

  * Make ffap.el grok Tramp filenames.

  No idea whether there is a problem; this item has been added several
  years ago; and at least I haven't checked since then. Maybe you
  disable temporarily ffap as well. OTOH, there are some Tramp actions
  afterwards, so maybe that's not the problem.