Re: Tramp 2.1.9

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.1.9
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:47:47 +0200

Pete Forman <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Pete,

thanks a lot for your suggestions. The simple ones I have committed to
CVS already.

> 1) tramp-shell-prompt-pattern
>
> This looks as if it is catering for a color reset in the prompt.  It
> only works for some common TERM settings, e.g. the first of these is
> detected okay currently:
>
>> tput -T vt220 sgr0 | od -c
> 0000000 033   [   m
> 0000003
>> tput -T xterm sgr0 | od -c
> 0000000 033   [   m 017
> 0000004
>
> I've set my var with customize but the attached patch should work.

I see your idea. Unfortunately, turning off attributes does not use
the same code everywhere. In my case, we have

magdalene:~> tput -T xterm sgr0 | od -c
0000000 033   [   m 033   (   B
0000006

A general purpose patch looks hard to me. We might only improve the
documentation I fear.

And, I might be stupid, but what is it good for to add the
exit_attribute_mode to the prompt? Wouldn't it sufficient to apply it
in your login sequence, once you have detected that you are in a dump
terminal?

> 2) configure and spaces
>
> I was using cygwin to configure and make.  Unfortunately it was not
> able to handle spaces in my path names.  I was able to fix a few
> obvious places, changing <foo=$bar> into <foo="$bar"> in the configure
> script.  Then I hit places where the script did an "Extract the first
> word of " and then choked on the result.  I mitigated the problem with
> a temporary symlink but I suppose I could have set PATH rather than
> using --with-xemacs="pathname_with_spaces" .

Patching the configure script might not be the best solution, because
this is a generated file from autoconf.

When you give a pathname with whitespaces, we run into
trouble. Internally, Tramp uses the autoconf macro AC_CHECK_PROG,
which isn't able to handle withespaces in path names. And even if you
would succeed, you would need to patch also the Makefiles, because
they are not whitespace resistant as well.

I've added a short note the the installation instructions that
whitespaces are a bad idea in the path names.

> 3) timer-funcs.el
>
> This is part of the current standard xemacs-base package.  I would
> have it (and probably a more recent Tramp) if I'd updated packages.
> The last XEmacs 21.5 full Windows installable was ages ago.

Usage of timer-funcs.el has been introduced in October 2005, by Steve
Youngs. I would expect that there are problems only somebody uses an
older XEmacs version.

> Better general advice for users would be to update their xemacs-base
> package.

Hmm, 1.5 years since. Is it really worth to document?

> 4) set-buffer-multibyte
>
> The place(s) where this is called should be conditional on (fboundp
> `set-buffer-multibyte) or perhaps (featurep 'xemacs).

Fixed in CVS. I've added an alias.

> 5) remote shell discovery
>
> With hindsight fixing tramp-shell-prompt-pattern might have got me
> going sooner.  The default shell on my UNIX accounts is tcsh and it
> has codes to set the prompt and xterm title.  My Korn and Bash
> environments are quieter.  It would be nice if we could skip the auto
> discovery and issue "plink ... env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh -i" or whatever
> as the first remote command.  This could involve splitting each hop
> into a local and remote spec.  The remote part could default to
> discovery to keep existing behavior.

Honestly, here you lost me. What do you mean with "local and remote
spec"? Could you, please, give me an example?