Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-find-file-exists-command problem with ntemacs 22.0.92.1
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:59:12 +0200

Patrik Jonsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi again,

Hi Patrick,

> I never heard anything back about this, so I gave up and reverted to
> using the old emacs/tramp that works. I just tried downloading the
> latest ntemacs 22 cvs snapshot (070524) to see if whatever the problem
> was had fixed itself, but it hasn't.

I was offline last weeks, but now I'm back in the loop. So let's continue.

> Currently, it SAYS the problem is that it can't find ls on the other
> end. I try to open a file with /plink:host:partially_completed_name_here
> and hit tab, it logs in and then just returns to the minibuffer without
> completing. If I hit tab again, it says "Couldn't find remote 'ls'
> command."  However, the problem is still that it can't figure out how to
> check if a file exists. Debug-on-error gives this rather long backtrace:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't find command to check if
> file exists")
>   signal(error ("Couldn't find command to check if file exists"))

OK, we must trace much more. Could you, please, eval the following code
before you try to connect:

(require 'trace)
(mapcar 'trace-function-background
        (mapcar 'intern
                (all-completions "tramp-" obarray 'functionp)))
(untrace-function 'tramp-read-passwd)

Tramp's function call traces are inserted in the buffer *trace-output*
then. Please send this buffer.

> If anyone can help me track this down I'd much appreciate it, I'm using
> tramp constantly so without it working I'm not able to even think of
> moving up from my old v21... :-(

Emacs 22 will be rolled out these days. So even if we find a fix, it
will be too late for this, and you'll need to patch Tramp.