Re: vc-file-clearprops error on Win32

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: vc-file-clearprops error on Win32
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:00:33 +0200

Kyle VanderBeek <address@hidden> writes:

> The repro steps are pretty basic: any file-open over plink or pscp
> methods throws this.  It appears to happen after the local temp file has
> been created.  The above file contains my complete .muttrc, successfully
> transfered.
>
> Trace (byte code removed due to non-printable characters):
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>   intern(nil [0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0])
>   vc-file-clearprops(nil)

The problem was reported already some months ago, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/6060>. Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to find the cause of the problem. Let's try it again.

My last suspicion back in February was that there is a problem in
handling temporary files. Could you check it?

It's also remarkable that the problem has been reported only for
Win32. But I don't know yet what it means.

If you cannot find something wrt to your temp directory, we would need
more traces. I would like to see the Tramp trace buffer with trace level
8, see (info "(tramp)Traces and Profiles") about.

> I also noted this when compiling the stuff in place:
>
> C:\emacs-22.1\lisp\net>C:\emacs-22.1\bin\emacs.exe -batch -f
> batch-byte-compile tr*.el

That doesn't count. Use make as described, it handles dependencies.