Re: Tramp and FreeBSD

From: Rommel Martinez
Subject: Re: Tramp and FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:32:34 +0800

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Rommel Martinez" <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > I did as you suggested. When I open a remote file on the
>  > server using Tramp, I get this:
>  >
>  > Couldn't `exec env 'ENV=' 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh', see buffer `*tramp/ssh
> address@hidden'
>  >
>  > *tramp/ssh address@hidden contains:
>  >
>  > $
>  >
>  > A dollar sign, then a space.
>
>  That's another problem then. Could you, please, enable again Tramp
>  debugging and show the debug buffer?
>
>  Best regards, Michael.

After some thorough checking, I finally found the culprit.

My .zshenv used to have this:

        export HISTFILE=~/.zhistory

I changed it to:

        if [ "$TERM" = "dumb" ]; then
                unset HISTFILE
        else
                export HISTFILE=~/.zhistory
        fi

Together with:

        [ "$TERM" = "dumb" ] && unsetopt zle && export PS1='$ '

And Tramp worked again.

I hope these posts will help other users of Tramp who are
experiencing the same.

Thank you for the patience Michael. Thanks a lot.

--
Rommel M. Martinez <address@hidden>