tramp(2.1.14) hangs on connect

From: Jim Edwards
Subject: tramp(2.1.14) hangs on connect
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:26:57 -0600

Hi,

I've tried to add support for a cryptocard challenge for ssh login.    The prompt looks like this:

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
CryptoCard Challenge "97340125":

And I have modified tramp.el to handle it (modified from tramp-2.1.14) with a simple addition to the tramp-password-prompt-regexp

<  "^.*\\([pP]assword\\|[pP]assphrase\\).*:address@hidden *"
 > "^.*\\([pP]assword\\|[pP]assphrase\\|[cC]hallenge\\).*:address@hidden *"

but what happens is that the minibuffer displays
tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell

and emacs (21.4.1) hangs.   After the 60 seconds has expired I can go to a buffer whose name begins with "tramp/ssh
and see the prompt
CryptoCard Challenge "81135414":
but at that point tramp has already apparently timed out and it doesn't do me any good to enter anything.

I get that behaivior about half the time,  the other half I get
tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using nil...
tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
byte-code: Args out of range: 0, 0

and tramp returns immediately.   This is the case when the prompt looks like this:
Offending key for IP in /home/jimed/.ssh/known_hosts:59
Matching host key in /home/jimed/.ssh/known_hosts:60
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

which it would appear tramp is already setup to handle.

Is there something that I should do before trying to open the remote file so that that buffer is someplace where I can use it?

I've added (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)  to my .emacs - this is all I get for output:
# Opening connection for address@hidden using nil...
# Waiting for prompts from remote shell
# Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell

(I edited the actual login info there)

Thanks
Jim