Re: multi hop syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: multi hop syntax
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:23:21 +0200

"Bart Bunting" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> I have a group of machines which are only accessible by sshing to a host and
> then sudoing to root before sshing on to the final destination.
>
> So if we say we have the machine proxyhost and a set of machines who are all
> called <machine>.vpn.
>
> To get to somemachine.vpn I do the following:
>
> Ssh to proxyhost
>
> Sudo to root on proxyhost.
>
> Ssh to somemachine.vpn.
>
> Could someone explain how it is possible to set things up so I can access
> files on somemachine.vpn using tramp.

You haven't mentioned the user name, let's assume you are working as
"bart". The following settings might work the for you:

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\.vpn\\'" "\\`bart\\'" "/sudo:address@hidden:"))
(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '("\\`proxyhost\\'" "\\`root\\'" "/ssh:address@hidden:"))

If you open "/ssh:address@hidden:", the first rule is applied,
opening "/sudo:address@hidden:". And this requires at the beginning, due
to the second rule, opening "/ssh:address@hidden:".