Re: imap-hash.el and tramp-imap.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: imap-hash.el and tramp-imap.el
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:07:18 -0500

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:52:59 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Could you, please, add "(require 'assoc)"? It's not loaded by default.

OK.

MA> * imaps didn't work for me any longer. I've patched
MA>   `tramp-imap-make-iht' until it worked ... maybe my sledge-hammer patch
MA>   could be done more elegant. There is still an error message in the
MA>   mini-buffer when opening the IMAP folder, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Looks OK.  I haven't tested imaps thoroughly and it's not crucial to
releasing IMO.  The approach is OK; I want the clients of imap-hash.el
to modify the IHT as needed after it's created, so it can carry extra
information as appropriate to the particular client.

MA> * I have renamed `tramp-imap-handle-file-inode' to
MA>   `tramp-imap-get-file-inode'. tramp-*-handle-* function names shall be
MA>   reserved to basic file name operations implementation.

MA> * I have used `tramp-current-host' to solve the problem of unresolved
MA>   vector in `tramp-imap-passphrase-callback-function'.  That variable
MA>   was introduced in tramp.el for exactly this kind of problems.

Great.  Thanks so much for looking into this.

MA> * When you byte-compile tramp-imap.el, there is a warning about unknown
MA>   function `tramp-imap-get-message-headers'. No idea, what to do here.

I don't see that warning.  I do see:

tramp-imap.el:364:53:Warning: reference to free variable `filename'

which is strange, because with-parsed-tramp-file-name should set
`filename'.

MA> My patch is appended.

MA> I really would like to add tramp-imap.el to the CVS repository. I test
MA> on different machines, and the current situation is inconvenient for
MA> me. Do you agree for a checkin?

That's fine now, it's sufficiently presentable and maintaineable.
Latest attached for your review; no changes other than the require 'assoc.

I'll ask on emacs-devel about imap-hash.el; it will be used in Tramp and
Gnus so I would prefer to host it inside Emacs itself, probably under
lisp/net/ together with imap.el.  Tramp, in order to be self-sufficient
on XEmacs, may need to package it as well.

Ted