Re: Tramp and recursive file operations

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and recursive file operations
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:06:16 +0200

Harry Putnam <address@hidden> writes:

> I think this problem (backtrace at the end) may be related to the
> recursion thing.
>
> My setup: running emacs 23X from 3 days ago and current cvs gnus.
>
> I'm unable to run the command gnu-agent-expire
>
> The command is supposed to recurse thru agentized groups expiring
> according to a couple of other variables.
>
> Instead it just burns up ever more resources, in a few seconds its at
> 95 percent.
>
> The backtrace has several references to tramp... I'm not sure why
> since the server buffer shows no evidence of a group opened on a
> remote or whatever.  I don't know enough to know if this is
> related.. if its not then sorry for barging in.
>
> Yet tramp is right in the middle of it.  Actually looks like gnus is
> trying to tramp to do something to `/'.... yikes.

Tramp feels responsible for the filename "/". This is not because of any
remote editing, but because of a possible filename completion in the
minibuffer.

You see in the backtrace, that only tramp-completion-* functions are
involved. But they shall realize, that there is nothing to do for them,
and they shall hand over the work to the native implementation of
`directory-file-name'. That happens always with all filenames, which
could be extended to a remote file name.

Looks like you need to continue with debugging, which function is
running amok.