Remote filenames with non-ASCII chars and LC_ALL=C

From: Øyvind Stegard
Subject: Remote filenames with non-ASCII chars and LC_ALL=C
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:57:31 +0100

Hello TRAMP developers,

I believe the default setting of "LC_ALL=C" in the
`tramp-remote-process-environment' variable is causing problems for
remote filenames with non-ASCII characters in them: Remote shell
commands (at least 'ls') will simply replace all such chars with
question marks when run under C locale with output to a terminal. I work
primarily on hosts with UTF-8 as default locale encoding, but
occasionally I have to edit remote files on systems which default to
ISO-8859-1. The "LC_ALL=C" setting seems to break all non-ASCII setups,
even when both local and remote system are using the same encoding (for
instance local UTF-8 <--> remote UTF-8).

IIRC, tramp worked properly with non-ASCII filenames in Emacs 22 by
default, if both systems used the same locale encoding. This is not true
for Emacs 23, that's why I'm reporting it here. Simply setting "LC_ALL="
(explicitly unset the var) in the default remote process environment
list makes things work again. (Curiously though, it wasn't enough to
remove it from the list, I had to explicitly unset it. Maybe it's
hardcoded somewhere else in tramp.el code as well.) I realise the
variable is meant to be customized, so whatever "LC_ALL=C" fixes must be
weighed against the fact that it breaks non-ASCII chars in filenames
when it's there by default.

Emacs 23.1.1 (Ubuntu 9.10 x86), tramp 2.1.15.

Please CC me any replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks,
Øyvind Stegard
--
< Øyvind Stegard