Re: default remote shell in tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: default remote shell in tramp
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:43:56 +0200

Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think this solution is feasible in that the user would have to
> edit .bashrc file for EVERY server they use.  Even so, if PS is set
> system-wide (as was one of my case), then the user may not have the
> permission to edit that.

I have committed a patch that, when bash is called, it uses the
arguments "-norc -noprofile" (see variable `tramp-sh-extra-args'). In
fact, this variable did exist ever, but it wasn't used in all possible
cases; that's why your login did hang.

It is possible to tweak this variable to let bash evaluate either
.bashrc or .profile. But such files must NOT et the prompt as .bashrc
does it today - Tramp cannot handle this.

> I tried looking up whether there is a way to set PATH globally for all
> shells as my original intent was to access commands that in the PATH
> defined in ~/.bashrc.  However, this would require edits config files
> for each shell in each system, so this approach is also probably not
> feasible.
>
> What are your thoughts?

Still the same what is said already in the manual: don't let your shell
change the prompt in a way Tramp does not understand. Either suppress
evaluating such a file during login, or change the prompt setting that
it happens only when $TERM is set to a known value.

Sorry, but I don't see a better solution.