Re: Using sudo with authinfo file.

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Using sudo with authinfo file.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 04:59:57 -0500

On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:49:46 -0500 Michael Jacobson <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > That node doesn't mention `auth-source-debug' which can be customized to
>> > t.  The first debugging step should be to set it to t and look at
>> > *Messages*.  You'll see exactly what auth-source is looking for
>> > in the authinfo file.
>>

MJ> Interesting. I have always at this set to t, but did not see any output
MJ> until I commented out the call to "with-parsed-tramp-file-name" in the
MJ> "tramp-read-passwd" function of tramp.el. Of course when I comment out that
MJ> call, everything works, so the auth source debug output is not helpful.

That means that auth-source-* functions are not getting called from
somewhere within `with-parsed-tramp-file-name' when a password is
needed.

MJ>   (setq auth-sources '((:source "/home/mike/Desktop/.authinfo" :host t
:protocol t)))
MJ> Does this look correct to someone with a trained eye? =)

At least `auth-sources' is correct.  I would encourage you to upgrade
your whole Emacs to the trunk version that will become version 24, if
you can.  I've been using it for a long time without problems.  It has
some significant Tramp and auth-source improvements and your
configuration should just work.  But 23.x will be fine if you want to
stick with it.

Ted