Re: scp/sftp "File exists, but cannot be read"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: scp/sftp "File exists, but cannot be read"
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:40:25 +0100

Zan Zhou <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Tramp experts,

Hi Zan Zhou

> I consistently got this error "File exists, but cannot be read" on
> Emacs for windows, since 23.4. 24.1 all the same.
> I connect to a remote Linux server with scp, sftp. The authentication
> is absolutely correct, and the file is existing and readable.
> "dired" for same server works well.
>
> The problem exists for remote tramp since 2.2.6, I verified 2.2.7
> 2.2.9 2.2.10, all the same.
> But I remember the old version, 2.2.3 I once used works.

Well, there was a similar problem a while ago, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/8501>.
I don't know whether the fix is already contained in your Tramp version.

However, the sftp protocol was always problematic; that's why it has
moved to tramp-gvfs.el (and requires D-Bus now).

Could you, please, check whether recent Tramp works fine for you with
(p)scp?