Re: Bug when connecting to busybox sh

From: Matthías Páll Gissurarson
Subject: Re: Bug when connecting to busybox sh
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 10:14:49 +0000

Upon further inspection (though I could have sworn that I tried it yesterday), this does not happen on busybox images, but rather on alpine linux images. So it's probably some bug in their configuration of busybox.

Docker containers can indeed be shared. To reproduce, the steps are:

1. install docker-tramp.el (available on melpa)
2. install docker
3. configure docker-tramp with "(setq docker-tramp-use-names t)",
3. start a docker container named "alpine" running the latest alpine linux with:

    $  docker run -it --name alpine --rm alpine:latest sh

4. try to connect to that container with

    C-x C-f /docker:alpine:/

Attached is the log file of *tramp debug/docker alpine* that I get with the unpatched version of tramp.

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Matthías Páll Gissurarson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Matthias,

> i.e. to change the regex so that it allows control sequences at the
> end of the line (as well as the beginning).
>
> I know this should rightfully be fixed in busybox itself, but I fail
> see why this fix couldn't be added to tramp itself, seeing as this
> might be a common error.

People, including me, acess busyboxes via Tramp for years. I haven't
seen this reported so far.

So I'm not convinced (yet) that it is a common busybox error we have to
live with. Could you pls tell which busybox version is involved?

Could you show a Tramp debug buffer (produced with tramp-verbose 10),
which includes the problem, i.e., produced with an unpatched Tramp?

Is it possible to share the docker image, that I can try to reproduce
the bug?

TIA, and best regards, Michael.
--
---