Re: tramp-shell-open doesn't work with rc shell

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: Re: tramp-shell-open doesn't work with rc shell
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:22:07 -0700

* Michael Albinus <address@hidden> [2018-04-20 09:35]:
Jeff Mickey <address@hidden> writes: Hi Jeff,
In tramp-open-shell, there is this line: (tramp-send-command vec (format (concat "exec env TERM='%s' INSIDE_EMACS='%s,tramp:%s' " "ENV=%s %s PROMPT_COMMAND='' PS1=%s PS2='' PS3='' %s %s") tramp-terminal-type emacs-version tramp-version ; INSIDE_EMACS (or (getenv-internal "ENV" tramp-remote-process-environment) "") And this breaks rc shells, as the '=' sign appearing after an initial command is an invalid syntax in this shell. The shell may support this syntax in a while, but it does not currently and has not since it was made. I was thinking of trying to modify this to work on more shells by moving the single quotes around the entire arguments, as they are parsed by the env command anyways. So it'd look like "exec env 'TERM=%s'..." instead. Is that reasonable? Would this break something I don't understand?

Thanks for this. I don't object if you provide a patch, could be applied to Tramp if it passes the tests. The quoting of the values is just because the underlying shell; any kind of `tramp-shell-quote-argument' should work instead.

Any pointers on how to run the tests?

Pls add a comment in the patched tramp-sh.el why you do it this way. Otherwise, it could be changed later on accidently. And pls provide also a ChangeLog style explanation.

Will do - I may also add some sort of test to detect rc-style quoting issues in general if I can figure it out.

ADAICS, you haven't signed the FSF legal papers yet. No problem, w/o signing you could provide patches up to ~15 lines, cumulative but w/o the ChangeLog entry. If you intend to provide further patches to Emacs and/or Tramp, you might consider to sign such papers.

More than happy to - let me know what I should do, I couldn't find the papers online.

 //  mickey