Re: tramp (2.3.3.26.1); Tramp hangs when trying to connect in emacs for

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.3.3.26.1); Tramp hangs when trying to connect in emacs for OSX 26.1
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 09:59:55 +0200

Jeffrey Gennari <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jeffrey,

> Attached is the base64 encoded debug buffer.

Thanks. The prompt from the remote shell is a single "$", no space. In
theory, this shouldn't matter; Tramp shall recognize this prompt as well.

Strange. What puzzles me a bit is, that Tramp sends commands not common
for the initialization step. I have the impression, that you run all
these tests from an Emacs, which has already a Tramp history.

Maybe you could rerun the test from a fresh plain Emacs. Please try the
following:

emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)' /ssh:address@hidden:

If this also fails, maybe you could try it from another machine. Your
local machine runs macOS, using a GNU/Linux machine could change the
results. At least we would know that it isn't a problem of the remote
machine.

Another idea is to try latest Tramp sources from git. Recently, there
has been a problem with macOS, which was fixed there. However, the
situation was different to yours, it was a problem using Tramp on a
local MS Windows machine, connecting a remote macOS machine.

Unfortunately, I'm bad in testing macOS. I do not run such a machine,
neither local nor remote.