Re: Rclone?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Rclone?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 19:41:37 +0100

Matt M <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Michael,

Hi Matt,

> The mount seems flaky to me, at least when copying _to_ it using
> Finder on Macos (copying _from_ it is fine).  So, I tend to use the
> direct commands for move, copy, copyto, delete, etc., from eshell.

No problem, we can change it any time. For the beginning I believe using
a mount would give the first results soon. If it isn't sufficient, or
performance is too slow (looks to me like this), we could change later on.

> I was thinking of writing the integration myself, but I'm relatively
> new to elisp and don't know the tramp integration points at all.  So,
> I was hoping this was already in the works! ;)

No, as said. However, I'm very glad for your interest to
contribute. It's always great if people chime in into Tramp development.

> If, however, you can point me to a document which might explain the
> minimum functions I need to implement for a new integration, that
> would help a lot!

I recommend to study tramp-adb.el. It has a similar scope, accessing
Android devices via the "adb" program. Here you will see waht's needed
to get a Tramp integration. And you might read the Elisp manual about
file name handlers. Call (info "(elisp) Magic File Names")
This gives you also a list of file name primitives which need an own
implementation.

And of course, you can ask all kind of questions. I will try to be
responsive, and hopefully other people will also answer.

> But, if you are interested in this yourself, I should probably not
> bother, as I would be too slow and the code poorly written!

As usual, there's all too much on my todo list. I've started a new file
tramp-rclone.el as proof of concept, and some functionality is already
working. Likely, I will stop after this weekend, and push everything to
the Tramp repository. You could continue with this, or start your own
integration if you're not satified with that.

If you intend to make it part of Tramp/Emacs, there is also a formal
prerequisite. All contributors to Emacs shall sign legal papers, that
the work is licensed to FSF. Are you willing to sign such legal papers?