trans-coord-devel

Re: VCS=(yes|always)

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: VCS=(yes|always)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:01:26 +0200

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 03:44:49PM +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> The basic convention I'm refering to is stated in the GNU Coding
> Standards:
>
>     Each program-name variable should come with an options variable that
>     is used to supply options to the program.

This convention does not mean that we should use the options variable
even if it is useless.  We use CVSOPTS where it makes sense, that is,
where it is useful to have `-n' or not.  In this rule, it just makes no
sense.

(Another point is that our makefile does not comply with GCS anyway
since it doesn't have the standard targets; its purpose is different.)

> By having CVS and CVSOPTS variables we're misleading the reader of the
> GNUmakefile to make assumtions about how these variables relate to each
> other.

I guess that it would be more misleading if we modify the makefile as
you propose.  I don't think we should unnecessary obfuscate the code
just for the sake of some stupid rule that it's set by us anyway.

CVSOPTS is a convenience variable, so we decide how to use it and it's
natural to use it when it makes sense.