trans-coord-devel

Re: Selectively localized images [was: [gnu.org #604705] self-inconsiste

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Selectively localized images [was: [gnu.org #604705] self-inconsistent...]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:11:15 -0800

On 1/7/11, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Multiviews is not enabled yet, AFAIK.  There were some problems in the
> past with it, which I think are now resolved.

Alexander noticed that when an url is written without trailing
.html, like "http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr";, it takes
into account the browser preferences: if Russian is
the most preferred language, it shows the Russian translation;
when there is no Russian translation, it redirects to the first one
in alphabetic order.

Since there are no .en.html files, this does not work when the next
preferred language is English.

> But the switch to
> MultiViews will certainly take time (we'd have to rename a lot of
> files, etc.).

Yes, he suggested to make a lot of symlinks. I redirected him
to webmasters because I was unable to discuss that constructively,
but evidently he has not written the report (yet).

> Are you sure that it'll work with multiviews enabled?  I would be very
> (pleasantly) surprised if it is the case.

No, I'm not quite sure, but when Alexander mentioned technical
details (that I didn't understand very well) like

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\...\.html)$
RewriteRule ^(.*)\.html$ /$1 [R=301,L]

I thought that the feature might be flexible enough.