traverso-devel

[Traverso-devel] build system problems

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: [Traverso-devel] build system problems
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:11:38 +0200

> Hmm... The build systems seems a little weird... =)
> I really think one should be able to recompile traverso from the
> commandline in a simple way, not having to do a clean checkout
> everytime! With autotools it's just a matter of 'make', and it will
> re-generate makefiles if needed. It also takes care of the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack, using libtool.

I've checked here, and a make clean _does_ remove all compiled object files,
so thats working fine.
The last cvs update renamed some image files, when doing a cvs update, this
removes the 'old' image.
It's somewhat understandable that the build system doesn't 'know' about this,
and still refers to 'old' image, which isn't any longer there.

Traverso is actually made of a number of 'projects', as such it's logical that
you have to run qmake on the respective .pro files, to generate updated
Makefiles.
However, I agree this should also work from the toplevel .pro file, which
lists the subprojects .pro files.

I'll see if I can find how to _force_ new Makefile creation when running qmake
from the top level dir.

And Autotools caused A LOT OF PROBLEMS in the past, and qmake works
_just_fine_ here.
I suppose each build system has it's own oddities one has to deal with!

If for whatever reason qmake doesn't fit the build needs for Traverso, I would
rather go with something like cmake...

Just let me know when it goes wrong again, then I'll try to find out what goes
wrong and how to solve it.
Perhaps something as simple as this will get you going for now:

cd src/commands
qmake commands.pro
cd ../engine
qmake engine.pro