traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:58:53 +0200

Hi,

Since I missed the previous discussion about the clip manager, I have
difficulties to understand some of the features listed below. If the answers to
my questions can be found in the mailing list archive, feel free to tell me
rather than explaining it all over again (even an 'RTFA' will do ;-).

> I think this is a good model: (from another mail)
>
> * dragging a clip from the clipmgr into a track creates a reference to
> it there (not a copy).

As I understand it, a clip is already a reference to an audio source, right? So
it doesn't actually contain audio data, just information about start, end,
fades, plugins etc. Having a reference rather than a copy of such a clip will
save only minor amounts of memory.

> * modifying a clip with multiple references creates a copy before the
> modification, so that a new clip is created. (the new clip will have
> references=1)

This is what I don't understand: Why would you transform a reference into a
copy when it is modified? The behaviour I would expect intuitively is the
following:

When duplicating a clip, I can choose between copying or linking (just like in
konqueror when moving/copying/linking files). If I choose 'copy', the new clip
will be independent, if I choose 'link' the new clip will be a reference to the
source clip. *But* if I modify a reference or a clip having references > 1, all
linked clips should be modified accordingly. Unless the users explicitly
detaches a reference from the source clip to transform it into an independent
copy, each reference (and the source clip) should adopt all changes applied to
any member of the 'clip family'.

I reckon that the point in having references is that people working with
loops/samples have numerous copies of the same clip, right?

Cheers,
Nic