vcdimager-gui-devel

[VCDImager-GUI-devel] first mail and stuff...

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] first mail and stuff...
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:19:44 +0200 (CEST)

hello!

since its creation, this list hasn't seen any mail so far... one reason
is that some of us are students, which are extremely (or at least ought
to) busy with exams at the end of this semester...

first of all, for the ones who may haved missed the announcemnt,
--> Michael Tam has created a demo vcd, showing off various videocd and
thus vcdimager features... If you have some vcd capable playing device,
I'd suggest you take a look at it, especially since it does a good job of
showing a bit, of how to express the features while you experience them
in XML...

http://www.hvrlab.org/pub/vcdimager/examples/demovcd/
(see also: http://www.vcdhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=48495&forum=1
for some known issues...)

as to this list, as of now there are only 7 people, including me,
subscribed to it...

well, as to the actual status, the two starring programmers are (declared
by their nicknames) iceman and casanunda, who will (hopefully) lead the
JAVA GUI effort; the last time I talked (read chatted) with them, I was
told, that they had already a concrete plan/design of how to the GUI
should work more or less, and that they would start to implement/code in
july, for the above mentioned reason (exams)...
I hope their plans have not changed, since I hope some prototype will
become ready asap, in order for XML-feared people to start adopting this
GUI before DVD-R(W)s eventually takes off... (even if I'm planing already
to extend the vcdimager XML-based authoring framework to DVD authoring...)
:)

well, iceman & casanunda, please let me now, that you are still with
me...! :)

ps: for those of you, who want to help implement the GUI, iceman &
casanunda are the coordinating force behing the JAVA GUI, so they decide
if they want help and where. I will continue to focus on the core
vcdimager tools, and improve on the command line interface of vcdxbuild
for better interoperability with the JAVA GUI...

ps2: fyi, the cvs rep is at
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/vcdimager/gui/java/

ps3: no official name has been chosen yet for the JavaGUI... so...
suggestions are welcome! :)

may the force be with us,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key