vcdimager-gui-devel

Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] win32 binaries for still mpeg encoding...

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager-GUI-devel] win32 binaries for still mpeg encoding...
Date: 16 Jan 2002 16:56:47 +0100

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 16:42, Laurens Koehoorn wrote:
>> just wanted to let you know, that I've been to build some tools under
>> cygwin (win32), required to make stills...
>
> Well, I prefer the win32 way as I do now completely using the MPeG-Tools of
> TMPGenc and a utility - I wrote and included into my GUI : VCDwizard.
well, there have been a few approaches to encode stills so far;

1) make this through some other (s)vcd authoring tool

2) let tmpgenc encode and mux a one-frame mpeg stream and then do some
hex-editing on the resulting stream

3) encode one frame with some mpeg encoder; and mux it with some
still-mpeg aware muxer; (encoder and/or muxer may also be provided
through DLL's)

while 1 surely works, but is not very practical; 2 represents a hack,
which surely doesn't yield 'perfect' stills, although they may work
almost perfectly :)

finally 3 is the only true way to accomplish it... and that's how it is
done on http://www.vcdimager.org/stillencode/, using the external-tools
approach... but as already said, it could well be integrated into a
monolithic program if the muxer/encoder are available as DLL or
something similiar...

so... which approach did you chose? maybe something completely
different? :-)

> I get perfect still's of it, and that's the main target (ain't it). Just to
> prevent that possible users of my gui should download and install several
> external tools, while most people already has TMPGenc installed on their
> system(s)...
btw, how do you know you get 'perfect stills'? :-)

ps: We're all (at least I'm) quite curious to see your GUI when it comes
out, and what new ideas it brings with it =)
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key