Re: [VM] Finding IMAP mailboxes that have new/unread mail

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [VM] Finding IMAP mailboxes that have new/unread mail
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:57:07 +0100

Uday S Reddy writes:

 > I was going to ask which version of VM you are using.  This should work in
 > the latest release of VM, which is 8.2.0a.  (It might also work in 8.1.93a,
 > according to the NEWS file, but not in older versions.)

Good catch, I was using 8.1.1. I just updated to 8.2.0a, and now my
virtual folders based on IMAP folders work fine. Thanks!

I discovered one inconvenient aspect though: opening a virtual folder
based on three IMAP folders first opens the three IMAP folders
individually. I end up having three frames on my screen that I need to
close one by one. I was planning to have a virtual folder regrouping
all new messages from about 20 mailing lists, but I don't think that's
a good idea.

 > Actually, since you are going to be the latest additions, it is best to get
 > the development version (the "trunk").  The README file gives you
 > instructions for setting up a bazaar sync, so that you can easily get the
 > latest updates.  You will need bazaar, autoconf, configure and make tools to
 > download and compile this version.  If you can't do that, you should
 > download 8.2.0a from the Launchpad web site.

For now it's 8.2, but I will look into the development branch later!

 > The original virtual folder system didn't handle IMAP folders.  I suspect
 > that is the problem you are facing.

Indeed.

 > > Is there a way to get the list of all IMAP folders in an account from
 > > VM? Ideally, I'd like to build a virtual folder by selecting all
 > > mailboxes from my account that match a given pattern.
 >
 > M-x vm-imap-list-folders.

Works fine as well - and this looks like a recent addition as well.

It's good to see that VM gets improved IMAP support!

Konrad.