Re: [VM] Trying to install w/IMAP on Windows 7 (long)

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Trying to install w/IMAP on Windows 7 (long)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:51:43 +0000

Lewis Perin writes:

> Hmm, I thought this was necessary because emacs was to speak IMAP to
> the localhost stunnel, which would then talk IMAP-SSL to mighty
> Google.  I figured that the address@hidden was what VM used to deduce
> the nature of the tunneling.

Actually, it is the other way around.  VM knows all about stunnel, but it
doesn't know (and doesn't care to know) anything about gmail.  The point is
that the open source software is family.  We will be here for eternity.
Companies come and go.  Got the picture?

> Uday, I’m very grateful for your patience and persistence - not to
> mention your competence - and I fear if I keep asking for little bits
> of clarification that it would take more of your time and effort than
> if you just recoded my .vm.  What do you think?

I think you are pretty much there.  For an example of what to put in the .vm
file, please the file example.vm in the top-level directory of VM.  It was
originally created by Rob F (the previous maintainer of VM), but I made a
few changes over the years.

But you shouldn't just accept everything that is there.  Just take the bits
you need, and read the manual to find out why they are needed.  The manual
is your friend indeed!

Cheers,
Uday