Re: [vile] Rectangular fiddling

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Rectangular fiddling
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:46:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hello all,

This week I discovered that vile could do more with rectangular
selections than I had previously assumed.  Seeing vim-users doing all
kind of useful tricks, I investigated what vile could do.  I have some
observations and I am interested in your thoughts about them.

* If one uses `c' followed by a rectangular selection, vile queries for
 a string to fill it with.  If the string is shorter than the width
 of the selection, the rest is filled with NULL-chars instead of
 spaces.  Is this a feature or a bug?

I put a fix for that in my current changes -

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/

The surprising thing was that the bug dated back to 1996. While rectangles are a nice feature, I guess most people probably don't use the more exotic things.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net