Re: [vile] Question about regions

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Question about regions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:20:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Paul Fox wrote:
> > never use), i had to type
> >    ds<motion>q
> > instead of
> >    ds<motion>s
> > which is what i think i would have expected.
>
> Perhaps you did what I tried first, something like
>
>    bind-key quoted-fullline-motion s
>
> vile's looking for the selection-modjj key bindings at that point,
> rather than the default key bindings.
>
> This works:
>
>    bind-selmode-key quoted-fullline-motion s

huh.  i'd never seen bind-selmode-key.   but it seems like

I added that in 9.1i (May 2000).

 20000519 (i)
        > Tom Dickey:
        + add key binding for select mode, use that rather than insert mode
          binding.

(not that my memory is that good - I used rcshist to show all of the changes to cmdtbl, and searched for the first occurrence)

i have to do both of:
        bind-key quoted-fullline-motion s
        bind-selmode-key quoted-fullline-motion s
for it to work the way i'd expect.  (i guess it's good that the
"enter" and "leave" keys can be different -- i just expected them
to be the same by default.)

well, they are - by default - the same keycode.  But they're tested in
different modes.

Perhaps we need a command to compare key-bindings between modes...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net