Re: [vile] empty unmodified buffers

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] empty unmodified buffers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:30:03 -0500

rick wrote:
 > The old behavior used to annoy me because while I never seem to have
 > misnamed empty buffers, I always seem to have to go back to what
 > I was looking at before I enter the first text of a new file.  And
 > to have the buffer disappear in that situation is very surprising.
 > After a while, I learned to type "o<ESC>" before using "__" and
 > that, once a habit, solved the problem.  You sort of "commit" to

yeah.  me too.  okay, maybe it's not such great behavior.

anyone know how emacs deals with this?  vim?

maybe there should be time limit -- if you haven't visited the empty
unmodified buffer in 10 minutes, then it's ripe for reuse.  :-)
(just kidding.  really.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 45.7 degrees)