Re: [vile] vile eating CPU and then dumping core after pkill

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile eating CPU and then dumping core after pkill
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:57:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

OK, this may be unreasonable, but here's my story.

BTW FreeBSD 9-current.

I was editing a file with vile, which per wc -l has 132,096 lines.

I moved part way through the file and entered dG; vile would have had
to delete about 110,000 lines.

It may be unreasonable and I don't know the inner workings of vile, but it
seems like dG should just do something like "hey, I know where I am and
I know where the end of the buffer is, so I'll just pretend that the
buffer ends here now" rather than noodling around for a long time with
no apparent effect, other than printing ...working in the status line.

There's two parts -

a) deleting lines with syntax-highlighting turned on is slow
b) the undo-stack is (not as slow as syntax) a secondary issue.

If I'm thinking ahead, I do ^X-Q to clear the syntax highlighting,
before doing a large delete which usually makes it simpler.

fwiw, there are commands to clear highlighting above/below the cursor,
as menu-items in xvile.  The latter one might be a useful starting
point for improving deletion-performance (if it's really much faster
to clear, then delete):

C:Editing
B:Apply Highlighting:cmd HighlightFilter
B:Clear Highlighting (above):clear-attributes-til beginning-of-file
B:Clear Highlighting (below):clear-attributes-til goto-char

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net