Re: [vile] dropdown control in buffer

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] dropdown control in buffer
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:15:38 -0500

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 06:31:37PM +0100, ben wrote:
> hi
>
> Is it possible to open a something like a dropdown control inside viles
> main buffer? Similar to what vim provides for all kinds of completion
> tasks.

That's a question with more than one part.  While I'm aware that there's
an add-on (cream, which was inspired so to say by the menuing package
that John Davis wrote for jed) which provides menus - your comment about
"dropdown control" sounds as if you're referring to that, vim "normally"
provides a simpler sort of completion (cycling through possibilities on
the ":" line).

vile has built-in a different type of completion on the ":"-line,
which is normally activated by a repeated tab character.  That tells
it to show a buffer listing the possible completions - for filenames,
command-names, tags, variables.  (There is also a simpler scheme which
works all on the ":"-line.

It's described in the help file, in particular this section:
Completion

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net