Re: [vile] text hightlighting in Perl 5.12+

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] text hightlighting in Perl 5.12+
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:26:32 -0400

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 02:23:46PM -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:

> Text is any of:
>
>     ''
>     ""
>
>     q[delimeter] ... [delimeter]
>     qq[delimeter] ... [delimeter]
>     qw[delimeter] ... [delimeter]
>
> Where "delimeter" is the first non-whitespace char; open-close pairs
> (e.g., (), {}) can be used or a single-char delimeter can be repeated.
>
> I can tell if the input is Perl code via:
>
>     define-majormode perl
>     remove-submode perl cindent
>     ~with define-submode perl
>         preamble    '^#!.*perl'
>         suffixes    '\.\(pm\|t\)$'
>     ~endwith
>
> Q: What is the correct minimal filter syntax for hiliting only the text?

If I understand the question properly, you're talking about the delimiters
being colored the same as the text which they enclose.  That's built into
the filter (and arguably the delimiters should use a different coloring).

I _could_ add a command-line option to provide different behaviors, but
usually color string-delimiters along with the content.  How would you
like to have it colored?

(or did I answer the wrong question?)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>