Re: [vile] Odd vileserv error

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Odd vileserv error
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:00:50 +0100

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 08:23:17AM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On 11 April 2015 at 00:18, Chris Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I occasionally use 'vileget' to load files into a running xvile and it
> > works OK.
> >
> > However, for some reason, I'm getting an error when I write files from
> > xvile.  This error is occurring even though I'm not using vileget to
> > load files into xvile, I'm just doing things the normal way.
> >
> > What I see if I set popup-msgs is:-
> >
> >     :
> >     [No such function "vileserv-writehook"]
> >     [Writing...]
> >     [Wrote 45 lines 6046 chars to
> > "/home/chris/tmp/wiki/data/pages/info/holidays/2015/br2.txt"]
>
> How are you starting Vileserv?  You need to "use", rather than
> "require" it so that the functions like vileserv-writehook are
> registered.
>
>   :perl use Vileserv
>
> correctly registers that function for me on 9.8l and 9.8p.  It also
> appears to work: "vileget -w /tmp/foo" blocks until I write the file.

All I have (I think!) is the following in my .vilerc :-

    ~if &seq $progname "xvile"
        perl "Vile::register 'dir', 'dir', 'Dir Browser', 'dir.pl'"

        perl "Vile::register 'startserv', 'Vileserv::start', \
            'Start Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
        perl "Vile::register 'stopserv', 'Vileserv::stop', \
            'Stop Edit Server', 'Vileserv.pm'"
        startserv

        store-procedure exitproc
            stopserv
        ~endm
        set-variable $exit-hook exitproc
        setv %vileserv-accept-commands true
    ~endif

I can certainly use vileget without problems, I've never tried with
the -w option. However vileget doesn't seem to have a 'perl use
Vileserv' in it so I'm not really sure how it gets started.

--
Chris Green